THIS IS THE FIRST ESSAY :
WATCH THESE VIDEOS
Community Advocacy Program (2009). Beyond Medicine: Removing Legal Barriers to Health. Retrieved May 1, 2012 from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egrm6csKERg&NR=1 [VIDEO]
Kaiser Permanente (2010) Las Promotoras: Kaiser Permanente Helps Latino Families Access Care. Retrieved May 1, 2012 from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyx3rk05lJ4 [VIDEO]
Please watch at least two of the brief videos linked in the background info. Write an essay that includes the following:
- Tell me which 2 videos you watched. Briefly explain the main themes of each video.
- What health issues and services do the promotoras in the videos address?
- Do you think the promotora model is successful? Please explain.
- Which aspects of community organizing does the promotora model address?
- What other cultures and what other Healthy People 2020 leading health indicators could this model be used for?
THIS IS THE SECOND ESSAY:
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (2010).
Healthy People 2020: Leading Health Indicators. Retrieved May 1, 2012 from
CHOOSE ONE of the following leading indicators:
Using the information from Healthy People 2020 and your own scholarly research, please write a paper that includes the following
- A brief description of the health issue and related diseases
- Statistics regarding its impact on health (for example, number of people who have it, deaths, disabilities, costs to society, how it affects or is affected by health behaviors, etc.). You can give local, state, or national statistics.
- Clearly specify at least 1 behavioral, 1 environmental, 1 social, and 1 biological factor that put an individual at risk of having the condition.
- List at least 2 of Healthy People 2020s health promotion objectives related specifically to this issue. You should copy them from HP2020, use quotation marks, and cite the source. What data sources will be used for measuring progress toward those objectives?
- Identify at least 1 resource for people with the health issue. Briefly describe the resource. List the name and the Web site address for the resource. It can be a brochure, an intervention, an organization, etc
EACH PAPER HAS TO BE 2 PAGES LONG AND NO SHORTER
Please be sure to provide at least citations of sources consulted in preparing your paper in the body of the actual document itself (i.e., in addition to furnishing a reference list). Remember, any statement that you make that is not common knowledge or that originates from your synthesis or interpretation of materials you have read must have a citation associated with it. For guidelines on in-text citations, visit the following web site:http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/research/r_apa.html