M1 Assignment 2 Discussion
Discussion: DNA profiling
Deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) profiling is a laboratory method used by forensic scientists to determine the identification of individuals by their unique DNA signature. Also known as DNA testing, this method has been used to diagnose potential genetic disorders, identify heritage, and provide forensic evidence.
Respond to the following:
· Discuss scientific and technical concepts related to DNA profiling. Consider the following:
· Describe how a sample of DNA is collected and prepared for study.
· State the steps involved in determining the DNA sequence of a sample.
· Discuss one type of DNA sequencing and the steps involved in that method.
· Provide an example of the application of DNA profiling and discuss its efficacy related to this particular application. Consider the following:
· Why is DNA testing important to this application?
· What questions are addressed in this application?
· What are the unique steps or techniques in this application that must be followed for it to be effective?
· What alternative methods might be employed to address the same questions that can be answered via DNA testing?
Provide a minimum of two scholarly references. These scholarly references should be peer reviewed and from authoritative sources.
Write your initial response in 2–3 paragraphs. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
M1 Assignment 3
Assignment 3 Biotechnology Applications
Biotechnology refers to the technical applications of living organisms or their functions. These applications may be used in engineering, medicine, or agriculture, to name a few. Biotechnology processes and procedures are varied and range from the domestication of animals to genetic engineering. At its core, biotechnology involves the modification of a biological process for a human defined purpose.
Use the Internet, Argosy University library resources, and your textbook to research the field of biotechnology.
Write a paper which includes the following:
· Evaluate current or future applications of biotechnology in the fields of medicine or agriculture.
· Provide at least three real-world examples of current or future applications of biotechnology in either of these fields. Present a minimum of three reliable references.
Write a 2–3-page paper in Word format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.