21. The parasympathetic division of the ANS
A) innervates visceral structures serviced by the cranial nerves III, VII, XI and X
B) increases smooth muscle activity along the digestive tract
C) constricts the respiratory passageways
D) reduces heart rate and force of heart contraction
E) all of the above are true of the parasympathetic division of the ANS
22. The sympathetic division of the ANS
A) mobilizes energy reserves and accelerates the breakdown of stored muscle glycogen
B) increases activity in the cardiovascular and respiratory centers of the pons and medulla oblongata
C) utilizes a bilateral chain of ganglia found outside the vertebral column
D) innervates the medulla of the adrenal glands
E) all of the above are true of the sympathetic division of the ANS
23. The sensory receptors for visual and auditory stimuli are more complex than those for other types of special senses because..
A) both stimuli are sensed in wave form and transforming that stimulus into an electrochemical impulse is a complex process
B) their position on the post-central gyrus has little surface area associated with it
C) the impulses traveling from these sensory receptors have to find their way to the cerebellum
D) they do not decussate
E) they do not travel through white matter within the cerebral hemispheres
24. Sensory messages coming from the nose and mouth are perceived within
A) the prefrontal lobe
B) the occipital love
C) the insula
D) the temporal lobe
E) the diencephalon
25. What are the four main classes of tissues found in the human body?
26. Most of the viscera in the human body is found within..
A) dorsal body cavities
B) ventral body cavities
C) the pelvic cavity
D) the thoracic cavity
E) the cranial cavity
27. Cavities continuous with the outside of the body are covered with..
A) serous membranes
B) cutaneous membranes38
C) mucous membranes
D) synovial membranes
28. On a regenerative continuum __________________ tissue is highly regenerative while ___________________ tissue is not at all.
A) muscle /nervous
B) epithelial /muscle
29. The epidermis receives oxygen via ______________ from blood vessels found in the __________________.
A) active transport/stratum corneum
C) diffusion/ dermis
30. Which of the following is true of scar tissue?
A) it is inflexible and fibrous
B) it is non-cellular
C) it reinforces area of tissue damage
D) it will not allow for the original function associated with the tissue in which it forms
E) all of the above are true of scar tissue
31. Which of the following are true of the human skeleton?
A) it allows for voluntary movement by providing leverage for muscle contraction
B) it is the site of blood cell production
C) it protects vital organs
D) it is a place of mineral and adipose storage
E) all of the above are true of the human skeleton
32. Long bones are associated with the __________________ and form via _____________________ ossification.
E) pectoral girdle/intramembranous
33.The ocular orbit consists of _________ bones, one of which, the _____________ bone, is called the “keystone” bone of the cranium.
E) 10/ temporal
34.Foramina and fissures allow ______________ to penetrate or pass through bone.
B) blood vessels
D) A & B
35.The three types of muscle tissue are
36. The glenohumeral, hip, knee, and elbow joint are all considered
A) multiaxial, freely movable synovial joints
B) diarthrotic, freely movable synovial joints
C) biaxial, gomphotic joints
D) synarthrotic synovial joints
E) fibrous, freely movable joints
37. Which of the following are associated with synovial joints?
A) intracapsular ligaments/hyaline cartilage/bursae
B) areolar connective tissue/elastic cartilage/synovial fluid
C) DICT joint capsules/fibrocartilage/extracapsular ligaments
D) DRCT joint capsules/fibrocartilage/bursae
E) A & C